Sunday, August 19, 2012

this is me

this is me

Education - Me at Preschool

My mom organized a neighborhood preschool, like a co-op.  Several moms participated and took turns being the teacher.  On preschool day, I would go (or stay home) to another 4 year old's house to learn.  I loved it.  Back in the day, I could walk to those houses down the road.  I can't imagine sending my small child to walk a block now.

As I have been preparing to teach preschool myself, I have been going through all of my mom's supplies.  It makes me thankful for computers and for real photocopy machines.




Education - Me in Elementary School

I was a Riverdale Roadrunner.  "We are the Roadrunners for Riverdale School!  We'll stand together, loyal forever!  Something ...... So let's all give a cheer!  Something .... We're the greatest school in the land!"

Kindergarten - Mrs. Sheen
I really looked forward to, and begged, to be able to right 1990 on my papers.
1st Grade - Mrs. Tremea
My dad checked me out of school to get my ears pierced.  Darci Hyer got to wear dangly earrings on the first day of school.  I loved them.
2nd Grade - Mrs. Unck
I got baptized after school on my birthday.  Mrs. Unck made me feel good about that.  This is the year I learned what constipated means when a little girl got to sit on the rocking chair all day.
3rd Grade - Mrs. Hyde
I could beat Mrs. Hyde at the times table tests.  I loved that.  And I remember getting in a fight about what day and channel you could watch TGIF.  Those were the days.
4th Grade - Mrs. Whitney
 My friend got in trouble for talking when I was talking too.  But Mrs. Whitney said I knew how to work and talk at the same time.  Also, I had to carry a barf bucket for my friend to the office.
5th Grade - Mrs. Scalise
This is the year I began to learn that I was not the smartest or the most popular.  Thanks for that, Mrs. Scalise.  I remember starting to envy others for their brains and votes for class president.  I almost had it, Brandon.
6th Grade - Mrs. Handy
I started Young Womens during 6th grade.  I felt very young because I was in elementary school.  My Grandma Stone died that January.



Education - Me in Junior High
 
TH Bell Junior High - three years there taught me a lot of lessons.  I liked a lot about the curriculum because it was so varied and more challenging compared to elementary school.  The memorable lessons I learned were more life lessons that science or algebra.

1. If I give my best effort, it will be recognized.
2. Girls have babies in junior high.
3. If I don't try, I don't get to choose the consequence (retaking Algebra)
4. When I do my work and focus, I'm a pretty good student.
5. Teachers don't think smart-alecs are funny.
6. It frustrates teachers when they know you're smart but you don't try.
7. Kids get involved in dangerous activities, even crimes.
8. I'm a good organizer.
9. Art is not a class for me.
10. You have to work to earn what you need, not just what you want.
11. Friends don't determine who you are, you get to choose, and sometimes that means they aren't your friend anymore.
12.  The Young Women's Program/Church is the best hobby for teenagers.

Education - Me in High School
 
Bonneville High School was filled with things I had never seen or heard of before.  During my junior year, there were about 50 girls who were pregnant or who already had a child (or two).  Drugs and alcohol were available but I was naive enough not to know where they were or why or how you would get them.  I am disappointed with my high school performance because it could have been so much better.  The year 2000 was pretty much my worst year.  Luckily, my senior year went well.  I attended and I got a 4.0 GPA all year.  It wasn't that hard to do, but I can see that a little focus goes a long way.

I loved being apart of my ward and the Young Women's.  That really was my interest and how I spent my time, besides babysitting.  I gained a testimony then, that I can see much better now, that focusing on the Gospel is the happiest and safest place to be.  I was proud to wear my YW Torch and Medallion.  Although, I was surrounded with negative things and people during my junior and high school, I never felt tempted or interested in what I could see happening around me.  Instead, my young brain had no idea how others were getting involved with everything we had been warned against all our lives.  I was a junior or senior when I was offered marijuana and beer.  It wasn't where I was, I was being invited to it, but I just laughed at the person who offered it and invited them to mutual that night.  In fact, that person is pictured in this blog.  I thought after that many years of being friends, we would know each other a little better.
 
During the last quarter of my senior year, I started dating a returned missionary.  Teenagers are so dumb.  I found out that I don't like people telling me what I can't do, so I moved to New Jersey after graduation to be a nanny.  Don't worry, the RM and I got together several more times and even though it still didn't work out I didn't keep moving across the country.

When I graduated, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do until the fall.  For being such a planner and list maker, I left high school with no plans other than a trip to California.  I was job searching across the country for a nanny job and that seemed most intriguing.
 


Education - Me in College
 
I started school the same day I started working at America First Credit Union.  I lived in South Salt Lake with Wendy, I worked in West Valley, and I went to school at Salt Lake Community College.  I loved college and I loved working.  I attended seminary, too.  Also, I loved George W. Bush.  I loved Public Speaking and Math 970 (too bad I didn't try harder in high school).  I took a government and political ideology class.  I got a 4.0 GPA while taking 17 credit hours.  That's when I decided my major would be Political Communications.  I wanted to be the next Ari Fleischer.  After a year of school in Salt Lake I moved home.

Weber State University is not the school for me.  After a semester there, I knew I didn't care for it.  But it was a blessing to be home that semester to be with my parents.  In 2004 I bought my first Toyota.  After the spring semester I transferred to Utah State University when I found their Family and Consumer Finance Program.  Over the summer, I did a class from home and commuted to the Hyrum Branch of America First.

In the fall, I moved to Utah State.  Moving day was kinda funny because my dad was in meetings and my mom was doing stuff so I packed my car and told her goodbye and I drove away.  I settled in quickly before seeing any roommates.  Luckily, we had some roommate switcheroos so Lisa could move in.

Utah State and Logan was the place for me.  I loved it there.  I worked 30 hours at the Logan Branch, I went to school at least 15 credit hours every semester, I volunteered, I did internships, and I played and played.  I'm not sure how college students fit all of that in but they do.  I loved what I studied and I worked for two of my professors when I could.  During college, it's probably safe to say I only went out with the aforementioned RM on an unplanned but annual basis.  Well, except the one guy from Salt Lake, but that's not worth mentioning other than it gave me more perspective.  I was sad to leave Logan after graduation because that is where I became an adult, I think.
 
 
Does everyone experience a "I Wish I Had Known...." after their education is over?  I would have done a few things differently.  I would have focused more regularly.  I would have excelled it I had tried.  That's okay, though.  I made it through alive and with a college diploma.  And now I know things I didn't know before, and not just about credit reports.

1 comments:

Wendy H. said...

We are the Roadrunners for Riverdale School! We are the Roadrunners for Riverdale School!
We'll stand together, loyal forever! We'll stand together in united friendship.
We'll raise the banner of the purple and the white. We'll stand together for the right.
So let us all give a cheer and make it perfectly clear that we're the finest school in the land.