Monday, January 07, 2013

Survivor of the Recipes

Because it is still the first week of 2013, I am involved in "cooking at home more" type activities.  I made a calendar, filled it in with dinner plans, and made a note of where I found the recipe so it is easy to locate.  THEN, because I get a little OCD when I start organizing, I made a detailed grocery list for each week of January that matches the recipes for the particular week.  

I started off, last Friday, with a macaroni recipe from a magazine.  The kids and I ate it, but we did NOT like it.  It made a huge pot but I dumped it before Jake could even try it.  It was yuck.  Even though the macaroni bombed, I'm still going to try a couple other recipes from that magazine.  It really does look like a good one.

Tonight, I made Mexican Deelish from Worldwide Ward Cookbook of Secret Recipes.  It was a HIT!!!  It makes a big pot (eight servings) so we took some to Jake while it was still hot.  The kids gobbled it up, wrapped up in tortillas and Jake said it is a win.  His was over top a tortilla with a tortilla torn on top with a dollop of sour cream and a little shredded cheddar.  Their recommendations carry a lot of weight.  I don't get "wins" and "hits" very often, or ever.

There is no way I will eat this but I am SO happy my family liked it.  Here's the recipe:

1 lb. lean ground beef or chicken
1 15-oz. can low-sodium black beans
2 10-oz. bags frozen white rice OR enough instant rice to make 4 servings I made jasmine rice in my rice cooker while I browned the meat

1 1-oz. envelope low-sodium taco seasoning mix
2 c. frozen corn
1 14.5-oz. can all-natural Mexican tomatoes, chopped I put in a can of Rotel.  Maybe that's was Mexican tomatoes are, but I'm not real kitchen-savvy. 

In a medium to large stockpot, brown ground been or chicken.  Drain and rinse meat and return to pot.  Drain and rinse black beans.  Add to meat in stockpot.  Cook frozen rice in microwave according to directions OR cook instant rice in separate saucepan according to directions on the box.  Add cooked rice and taco seasoning to meat and beans in stockpot.  Add frozen corn to stockpot.  Slightly drain the tomatoes and add to mixture in stockpot.  Serve warm, topped with broken tortillas, for gluten-free and dairy-free dietary needs.  Or scoop mixture into warm tortilla shells and add cheese, sour cream, and taco sauce to taste.  Serve with fresh fruit for a great meal.  Makes 8 servings.

Rachel Anderson
Vinton, Iowa

1 comments:

Jimmy,Amber,Marlie,James and Jack said...

Looks tasty I will have to try it.